[Dovecot] Trouble getting lda to gzip incomming mails (zlib plugin)

Helge Milde helge at monsternett.no
Tue Sep 20 16:58:13 EEST 2011

Hi!
I've followed the guide at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib to try to make Dovecot gzip incomming mails, but it doesn't seem to work.
I've made pop/imap read gzipped files, and this seems to work perfectly, but LDA is still saving incomming mails in plain text.
There's not too much information out there regarding the zlib module, so I'm not sure where to start debugging the problem, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

The only mention of zlib when LDA is delivering a file:
Sep 20 15:51:19 mail dovecot: deliver(helgemil): Module loaded: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib20_zlib_plugin.so

The most relevant lines from dovecot.conf:
mail_debug = yes
protocols = imap pop3 imaps pop3s
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = mail
max_mail_processes = 1024
mail_process_size = 512

protocol imap {
     mail_max_userip_connections = 50
     mail_plugins = fts fts_squat zlib
}

protocol pop3 {
     pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
     mail_max_userip_connections = 50
     mail_plugins = zlib
}

protocol lda {
     postmaster_address = postmaster at monsternett.no
     mail_plugins = sieve zlib
     mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda
     sieve_global_dir = /etc/dovecot/sieve/
     sieve_global_path = /etc/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
}

plugin {
     zlib_save_level = 6
     zlib_save = gz