[Dovecot] userdb static & Quota from LDAP?

Christian Schmidt christian at siebenbergen.de
Sat Sep 10 00:58:55 EEST 2011

Hi all,

I just configured Dovecot 2.0.14 for "virtual" (i.e. non-system-) users:

passdb {
  driver = ldap
  args = /etc/dovecot/conf.d/ldap-passdb.ext
}
userdb {
  driver = static
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/maildir/%u
}

Works fine so far - thanks for this great piece of software, Timo!!!

Now I'd like to add per-user quotas that will also be stored in the
LDAP directory, and I'm not sure how to put things together.
IMHO quota is the only "userdb information" requested from LDAP, and
I'd like to leave all the other "userdb pieces" as the are. I changed
the userdb definition to:
userdb {
  driver = ldap
  args = /etc/dovecot/conf.d/ldap-userdb.ext
}

My /etc/dovecot/conf.d/ldap-userdb.ext contains (along other lines):

user_attrs = uid=vmail,gid=vmail,home=/var/maildir/%u,mailQuota=quota=quota_rule=*:storage=%$

My quota configuration looks like this:

plugin {
  quota = maildir:Mailbox-Quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_warning = storage=80%% /usr/local/bin/quotawarn.sh 80 %u
  quota_warning2 = storage=95%% /usr/local/bin/quotawarn.sh 95 %u
}

Using this setup, "doveadm quota get -u username" doesn't reveal any
quota information (except from the "headings"). Instead, dovecot logs:
doveadm(username): Fatal: GID 0 isn't permitted

When switching back to userdb static, I receive the correct (but also)
static quota information.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much,
Christian Schmidt