[Dovecot] sorting order changed during migration from courier

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Thu Sep 1 00:58:31 EEST 2011

Hello,

I've been working to migrate to dovecot (debian stable: 1:1.2.15-7) from
courier (debian old-stable: 4.4.0-2). I've setup everything and migrated
a test user over to the new system, and ran the
courier-dovecot-migrate.pl script.

The user is using alpine (the free version of pine) and their sort order
changed on move to dovecot. Originally it was the default in alpine,
which is to sort based on arrival. If he changes the sort order in
alpine to sort based on date, then things are back to how he expects
it. I noticed that there are no known issues with pine
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients#Pine).

Ideally, I would prefer if all the users who are migrated aren't
presented with a different sort order than they were used to, as the
support burden will be quite high.

What is it about this migration that could have caused that, and more
importantly, how can I fix it?

I moved the mail from the original system to this system via rsync
-a. The old system was an i686 machine and ext3, this new one is amd64
and ext4.

thanks for any ideas!
micah

# dovecot -n
# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.2
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting: howdy, ready.
login_processes_count: 10
login_max_processes_count: 256
first_valid_uid: 8
last_valid_uid: 8
first_valid_gid: 8
last_valid_gid: 8
mail_uid: 8
mail_gid: 8
mail_location: maildir:~/
maildir_copy_preserve_filename: yes
maildir_very_dirty_syncs: yes
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable(default): /maildir/postlogin_imap
mail_executable(imap): /maildir/postlogin_imap
mail_executable(pop3): /maildir/postlogin_pop
mail_process_size: 512
mail_plugins(default): expire quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(imap): expire quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(pop3): expire quota
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
imap_client_workarounds(default): tb-extra-mailbox-sep delay-newmail
imap_client_workarounds(imap): tb-extra-mailbox-sep delay-newmail
imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: .
  prefix: INBOX.
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at riseup.net
auth default:
  default_realm: riseup.net
  verbose: yes
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: prefetch
dict:
  expire: mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-expire.conf