[Dovecot] Multiple domains to one inbox and temporary redirects...

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Thu Sep 1 03:40:09 EEST 2011

On 8/31/2011 12:41 PM, Nick Rosier wrote:
> I'm using Postfixadmin to manage users and have server alias-domains.
> All mail sent to an alias-domain is delivered to the other domain. Quite
> easy if you've got postfixadmin already setup.
>
> Otherwise I think you could configure virtual_alias_maps in postfix to
> something like hash:virtual_domains
>
> virtual_domains:
> @example.net @example.com

It's been a while since I played with virtual_alias_maps, but does that
allow Postfix to say "that account doesn't exist" during the initial
SMTP transaction?  We try to reject as much as possible during the SMTP
session to avoid any later bounces.  I remember that one of the ways of
doing it was bad as Postfix would accept, then a later step (maybe the
LDA) would say "whoops! can't deliver this".

So we do it one by one by creating a virtual mailbox under the primary
domain (user1 at example.com) and then doing a virtual alias under the
secondary domain (user1 at example.net -> user1 at example.com).