[Dovecot] About using Dovecot indexes with Thunderbird/kmail

Wed Sep 21 15:05:48 EEST 2011

On 2011-09-20 5:37 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
> Charles Marcus said the following on 09/20/2011 04:22 PM:
>> On 2011-09-20 4:03 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
>>> I wish that Thunderbird would NOT index mail on my laptop, but it does.

>> So turn it (GLODA) off...

> Ah
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Using_Gloda
> Well it is off, but I still have these index files ...

You still have *what* index files? There is only one GLODA index file,
and you have to manually delete it after disabling GLODA to make it go
away. It will recreate itself, but it will be tiny, and remain static.

> So perhaps its not index that taking all the space and gets rebuilt when
> T Bird says its downloading the headers and indexing ...

It will definitely say it is downloading headers, but it shouldn't say
indexing, that is GLODA.

Do you have it set to download *all* messages? That is the default, and
I *hate* it.

I always disable it globally, then set a few select folders to only
download 'on demand' (offline use) (Inbox, Sent, and a few others).

--

Best regards,

Charles