[Dovecot] sharing of non-INBOX namespaces? Re: imapc and imap_acl

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 15 14:12:18 EEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 12:46 +0200, Lutz Preßler wrote:
> I have a more general problem now: shared mailboxes from any "non-INBOX"
> namespace are not available to other users. That's not only with virtual or
> imapc namespaces, but also tested with two Maildir ones:

> namespace others {
>   type = shared
>   separator = .
>   prefix = INBOX.shared.%%u.
>   location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u

Right, because here you have configured a shared namespace for
~/Maildir. If you want to access also ~/Maildir2, you'd need to create a
second shared namespace for it. Perhaps in future there could be some
kind of automated detection of namespaces and putting them all under a
single shared namespace. Configuration could probably be something like:

namespace others {
  type = shared
  separator = .
  prefix = INBOX.shared.%%u.
  location = shared:INBOX.:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
}

The above would then map "INBOX.shared.%%u." namespace to other user's
"INBOX." namespace and also export any other private namespaces under
it.