[Dovecot] Shredding instead of deleting

dovecot at lists.grepular.com dovecot at lists.grepular.com
Wed Sep 14 17:27:06 EEST 2011

On 14/09/11 15:19, Steve Thompson wrote:

>> From a privacy/security perspective, making sure deleted email isn't
>> recoverable does have real value for some people.
>
> What would you do about backups?

I realise that there are lots of other areas where an email can be
leaked. It only makes sense to address how Dovecot behaves on this list
though. I also need to address this for my MTA's mail spool and client
caches.

I will address your backup question, but I'd prefer if people don't
expand on this. I currently use some open source software called
Duplicity, which allows me to perform incremental, gnupg encrypted backups.

Also, all of my incoming email is automatically encrypted with my public
GnuPG key as described here:

https://grepular.com/Automatically_Encrypting_all_Incoming_Email

Even though it is encrypted, I'd like the mail to be shredded on delete
because the message headers are stored in plain text, even if the
message bodies are encrypted.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell