[Dovecot] quota percents

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 12 13:43:28 EEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 16:05 -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:
> I've noticed that http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Configuration is out of
> date, it says:
>
> plugin {
>   quota = maildir:User quota
>   quota_rule = *:storage=1GB
>   # 10% of 1GB = 100MB
>   quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=10%%
>   # 20% of 1GB = 200MB
>   quota_rule3 = Spam:storage=20%%
> }
>
> but if you use the '10%%' notation, dovecot complains, and *also* incorrectly:
>
> dovecot: imap(test at example.net): Warning: quota root mail quota rule Trash:bytes=10%: obsolete configuration for rule 'bytes=10%' should be changed to 'bytes=+10%'

Right, fixed in wiki. Although this was only a warning, so it still
worked.

> its incorrect because if you change it to what it suggests ('+10%') it
> wont work because that wont be 10% more, rather, it is set to bytes=+10:

Well, that's a more complex problem. The %% escaping needs to be done in
dovecot.conf, but it doesn't need to be done elsewhere. If this said
that "use +10%%" and someone gives that in SQL user_query, it will
break. So I'm not changing the warning.

> However, it doesn't seem to work in practice, because I have a user that
> is at 99% of quota, with nothing in the Trash who cannot move a 77KB
> message into the Trash without getting the quota_exceeded message and
> refusing to move it.

dovecot -n output?