[Dovecot] mysql auth failover failing

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Sep 12 01:05:04 EEST 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 01:49:59AM -0700, Noel Butler wrote:

> Sounds like you have bigger issues, maybe relating as to why the primary
> fails?

For testing purposes, it fails because I stick a firewall rule in place
preventing access to it ;). In production, it came to our attention
because a hardware failure required downtime on one of the mysql servers
to replace parts, and we received complaints of failed authentications
while it was down. In general, both are up, but things using them need
to be able to survive when one is down.

> primary (local slave copy) has gone away unless I'm deliberately
> upgrading mysql ) when doing so (tested) it hits the master server (as
> in secondary host=) right away, no auth failures.

Hmm, what version of dovecot are you using? In version 1 failover
seems to work if the primary returns connection refused (which your
scenario would). In version 2, it seems flaky for both connection
refused and connection timed out. Unless I've got something
misconfigured, but there doesn't seem to be that much to it...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768