[Dovecot] error in logs, but system appears to work

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Sep 6 23:09:09 EEST 2011

On 9/6/11 3:51 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 6.9.2011, at 22.35, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
>
>> -rw-rw----   1 ebradley mail     9484323 Sep  6 15:16 /var/mail/ebradley
> Is there any reason for this to be 0660? Most likely not, so your problem goes away simply with chmod 0600 /var/mail/* and at the same time makes your system more secure.

So, looking at my other system that has been running dovecot for over a year, I see that the entries
are mostly 0600, but there are a few 0660. The system I was just implementing has mostly 0660, but
some 0600. We had seen occasional similar errors on the other system.

If I change both systems so that all the directories in /var/mail are 0600, then everything will be
happy?

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>