[Dovecot] Getting the SMTP envelope through IMAP?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Sat Oct 22 14:14:06 EEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:09:28AM +0200, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> On 22.10.2011 10:15, Dennis Guhl wrote:
> >> It's required for debugging purposes, writing mail filters, create
> > Disregarding end users mail filters this are all tasks for mailadmins

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > which can tell thier MTA to write a reliable Return-Path: header and
> > which have access to the corresponding maillog.
>
> Definitely wrong.
>
> Writing mail filters like ~/.mailfilter is a user's task. Training their
> individual spam filters as well.

. o O (  at least he didn't truncate the relevant quote this time )

> And whether you're even permitted to keep the maillog that long depends
> on your local data protection laws.

How long do you think a responsible mailadmin need to train filter.

Btw. even here in Germany, where we most likely have the most
restrictive laws regarding the protection of personal data, I am
allowed to keep the maillog as long as I can show that the log is
needed to satisfy user requests.

> And neither the Return-Path nor the  Received-Lines reveal the precise
> date of delivery as the From line contains.

Nonsense.

Every RFC conformant received line contains the full date-time as
specified in RFC 5322. Nothing else is taken into account for the mbox
>From line.

Dennis