[Dovecot] Mail_location and formats

Walt Shekrota wshek at penguinacity.org
Thu Mar 31 18:00:03 EEST 2011

Hi,

Ok I know that the Maildir hierarchical structure works because I saw it intermittantly in my setup. At times I could look at ALL folders in my client.

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

http://wiki1.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir
this says 1.1 only?

My maildir folder has a collection of maildir folders ie each has cur new tmp folders. As an experiment I took the cur new tmp out of my INBOX folder and put it in the root of Maildir. This worked with dovecot using the inbox only or the standard maildir++ format. Although it would not see the old mail in the folder not sure why.

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

This setup also ignores the remainder of folders.
I know the dovecot support of maildir is shakey due to standards compliance but this is crazy ... and unusable.
Does ANYONE have a working maildir setup in the hierarchical layout?
Maildir/
 inbox
 mail-sent
 outbox