[Dovecot] 1.2 problem 'dovecot -n' vs dovecot.conf

Walt Shekrota wshek at penguinacity.org
Wed Mar 30 03:12:26 EEST 2011

To elaborate, if there is a database associated with this setup it is really fubar.
note: tail of dovecot -n

lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster
  mail_plugins: sieve
  quota_full_tempfail: yes
  deliver_log_format: msgid=%m: %$
  rejection_reason: Your message to <%t> was automatically rejected:%n%r
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
      mode: 504
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
plugin:
  sieve: ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir: ~/sieve

This in no way represents the settings in my dovecot.conf. It seems to have rembered old .conf settings and mixed them.
At no time was mode 504 set or even 432.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
-Walt
I'm also toying with the idea of loading 2.x if I can figure out the PPA stuff.