[Dovecot] dovecot proxy, imapproxy, perdition . . . or?

Jim Lawson jtl+dovecot at uvm.edu
Mon Mar 21 21:10:06 EET 2011

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Dennis Guhl wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 09:50:15PM +0100, Lorens Kockum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have two load-balanced dovecot servers using a single NFS
>> mount. The version is 1.2.11. I chose this so that if one server
>
> [..]
>
>> reasons, and also that dovecot has an included proxy, and
>> that its performance is better than perdition. However on
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/ImapProxy the feature "IMAP/POP3
>> server with proxy feature" is noted as "This model is still a
>> bit unfinished in current code."
>>
>> Is this still true? There's also a general note that "This page
>> was written quite a long time ago and may not match reality
>> anymore" . . .
>
> I use 1.2.15 from Debian Lennys backports in a proxy configuration
> for a medium three digit number of users without any problems.
>
> Dennis

UVM is using Dovecot 1.2.15 (stock) in a proxy setup (mysql driver) on top
of a RedHat GFS cluster.  >30K users.  The proxy works very well; we
used it to help make our migration from UW-IMAP transparent.

We're looking at moving to 2.0 + director to route users to specific nodes
for cache locality (hopefully better performance.)

Jim