[Dovecot] Migrating to mdbox

Chris Wilson chris-dovecot-110112 at aptivate.org
Wed Mar 16 17:23:33 EET 2011

Hi Timo,

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 12:40 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
> > > I think they have different GUIDs, or maybe Dovecot failed to get
> > > one of their GUID. Dsync works with mailbox GUIDs, not names.
> > > Anyway, I don't really know why it would suddenly lose one of them.
> >
> > Perhaps it's worth printing the guids in that case? Is the guid stored
> > in the first message in the mailbox?
>
> Added: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/0a1a0d33c1b2

Great, thanks :) I'm impressed by how responsive you are to requests for
help and new features in Dovecot. Thank you :)

> > It doesn't seem to have backed up most of my mailboxes:
> ..
> > Any ideas how I can get it to backup the rest of my mailboxes to mdbox?
>
> Does
>
> doveadm mailbox list -u chris '*'
>
> list all the mailboxes?

Yes, it appears to.

> If it does, see if deleting the destination mdbox and running dsync
> again from scratch works.

Even worse this time:

chris at one-mail(~)$ sudo dsync -v -u chris backup mdbox:/home/chris/mdbox
[sudo] password for chris:
dsync(chris): Error: open() failed with mbox file /home/chris/mail/admin:
Permission denied
dsync(chris): Error: Failed to sync mailbox admin: Internal error
occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2011-03-16 11:00:45]
dsync(chris): Info: spam: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: temp: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: Sent: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: addressbook: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail-sep-2008: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail-oct-2010: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: INBOX.Sent: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: INBOX.Trash: only in source
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/chris

chris at one-mail(~)$ du -sk mdbox/ /var/spool/mail/chris mail
616368	mdbox/
1020420	/var/spool/mail/chris
2082960	mail

So this time it only copied 600 MB of mail before silently giving up.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.