[Dovecot] Migrating to mdbox

Chris Wilson chris-dovecot-110112 at aptivate.org
Wed Mar 9 18:02:22 EET 2011

Hi all,

I think it would be a good idea for me to move from mbox to mdbox, as I
have 57,000 messages in my inbox, and clients hang for a minute whenever
they request a CHECK, or Dovecot feels the need to run one itself.

Looking at past threads:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg35212.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/53936

it seems that the safest way is to run:

  sudo dsync -v -u chris backup mdbox:/home/chris/mdbox

eliminate any errors that it reports, test the new mdbox access
temporarily, and then switch my config in Dovecot. Ideally I'd like to do
that just for me, without disrupting other users of this server (that I
help to admin).

This error occurs every time I run dsync, and I understand it, so I've
elided it:

dsync(chris): Error: open() failed with mbox file /home/chris/mail/admin:
Permission denied
dsync(chris): Error: Failed to sync mailbox admin: Internal error
occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2011-03-09 15:50:10]
dsync(chris): Info: spam: highest_modseq changed: 2 != 3

I don't understand the following errors from dsync (2.0.9):

chris at one-mail(~)$ sudo dsync -v -u chris backup mdbox:/home/chris/mdbox
dsync(chris): Error: Next message unexpectedly corrupted in mbox file
/home/chris/mail/spam at 404513741
dsync(chris): Warning: Transaction log file
/home/chris/mail/.imap/spam/dovecot.index.log was locked for 252 seconds
dsync(chris): Info: spam: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: temp: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: Sent: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: addressbook: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail-sep-2008: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail-oct-2010: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: INBOX.Sent: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: INBOX.Trash: only in source

chris at one-mail(~)$ sudo dsync -v -u chris backup mdbox:/home/chris/mdbox
dsync(chris): Info: spam: only in source
dsync(chris): Info: spam: only in dest
dsync(chris): Error: Failed to sync mailbox spam: Mailbox doesn't exist:
spam
dsync(chris): Error: msg iteration failed: Couldn't open mailbox
407c272bc369304dbc210000d6a93087
dsync(chris): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with
guid=407c272bc369304dbc210000d6a93087
dsync(chris): Error: msg iteration failed: Couldn't open mailbox
407c272bc369304dbc210000d6a93087
dsync(chris): Error: Trying to open a non-listed mailbox with
guid=407c272bc369304dbc210000d6a93087
dsync(chris): Error: Failed to sync mailbox spam: Mailbox doesn't exist:
spam

Note: how is it possible for the same folder to be "only in source" and
"only in dest"?

chris at one-mail(~)$ sudo dsync -v -u chris backup mdbox:/home/chris/mdbox
dsync(chris): Info: spam: highest_modseq changed: 2 != 3
dsync(chris): Info: sent-mail: uidnext changed: 378 != 375

chris at one-mail(~)$ sudo dsync -v -u chris backup mdbox:/home/chris/mdbox
dsync(chris): Info: spam: highest_modseq changed: 2 != 3

Now the latter is all I get whenever I run dsync. Is it broken?

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.