[Dovecot] dovecot 1.2.3: TB fails to unsubscribe folder after deletion

Bruno Tréguier Bruno.Treguier at shom.fr
Mon Mar 7 18:07:37 EET 2011

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 16:07 +0100, Bruno Tréguier wrote:
>
>> Sorry to "unbury" such an old patch, but it seems to be related to a bug
>> I'm seeing right now, that I described in a mail sent on Thursday. In
>> short, TB *and* OE, when talking to a Dovecot server using an mbox
>> backend, complain with messages stating that "the mailbox isn't
>> selectable", for "folders of folders" mailbox types.
>
> That is intentional. It works the same way with UW-IMAP. With mbox you
> can't select a folder that has subfolders, it has nothing to do with
> trailing slashes or anything. (Or if you really want to, you can work
> around it: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MboxChildFolders)

Thanks for your answer, Timo, but I think my explanation wasn't really
clear.

I do agree with you regarding the limitations of the mbox system, and my
intention was not to find a workaround.

I'm just questionning the choice of not putting the slash at the end of
the mailbox name in the .subscriptions file (for "folders of folders"),
as it seems Dovecot solely relies on this to determine which type of
mailbox it is dealing with.

all the names of the mailboxes. This is the only way the client (be it
TB or OE or anything else) can be made aware the mailboxes it is
subscribed to. So in the absence of trailing /, there is no way for that
client to know if a mailbox is a folder of folders, or a folder of
messages (except if it maintains a kind of internal state, independent
of the server itself, but this should not be mandatory, the "spirit" of
IMAP being that eveything important is kept on the server side and you
can start a new connection with a new client anytime).

On the contrary, if the trailing / is present in the names returned by
the LSUB command, the client (at least TB) is able to take that into
account, and the "folder of folders" type of mailbox is greyed out (and
is unselectable, so), and when you right-click on it, the menu allows
you to create further subfolders in them. With no way to distinguish
between both types of mailboxes, this behaviour is broken...

Do you see what I mean ?

Thanks a lot & best regards,

Bruno

--
- Service Hydrographique et Oceanographique de la Marine - DO/MGS/INF
-  13, rue du Chatellier -  CS 92803  - 29228 Brest Cedex 2, FRANCE
-     Phone: +33 2 98 22 17 49  -  Email: Bruno.Treguier at shom.fr