[Dovecot] Multiple Concurrent IMAP Connections For Same User

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Mar 6 05:45:12 EET 2011

Knute Johnson put forth on 3/5/2011 8:36 PM:
> On 03/05/2011 12:24 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Stan Hoeppner put forth on 3/5/2011 1:34 PM:
>> Also, did you delete the sync copies and the GLODA sqlite index file
>> from the user profile?  IIRC, TB will still read the files if they
>> exist, even after disabling their parent function.  TB just won't write
>> to them any more.  Yes, it's stupid, I agree.  But I recall running into
>> this problem and needing to delete all the cached mbox files and the
>> sqlite db to get everything working correctly.
>>
>> Specifically answering your "change" question, the one big difference
>> between TB 3 and TB 2 is GLODA, and there have been a large number of
>> problems with it.  I noticed some of them on day one and disabled it.
>>
>> I use both TB and RoundCube.  With both open, I can delete a group of
>> messages in RC in an IMAP subfolder and the messages automatically
>> disappear from my TB view in about 5 seconds, and remain gone.  I just
>> performed a test deleting a group of 8 messages via RC in an IMAP
>> subfolder containing list mail from linux-ide.  It works fine the other
>> way around as well, though I must manually refresh RC as it's a
>> stateless web app.  I just deleted 6 messages in TB, and simply clicking
>> the folder in RC showed the messages were gone.  Deleting a message via
>> RC in INBOX required punching the Get Mail button in TB to reveal the
>> message had been deleted.  Not sure why the INBOX case required a manual
>> refresh.  The messages are all is still gone, after closing and opening
>> TB again.
>>
>> I don't recall ever having the problem you describe, using TB 3.0
>> through TB 3.1.9, and Dovecot 1.0.15 through 1.2.15.  My point is that
>> TB and Dovecot can be configured properly to eliminate this problem
>> you're having.
>
> Thanks very much for this post as I have been having the same problems
> with TB and my phone.  I did the things you posted but when I delete a
> message on my phone it doesn't always get deleted in TB.  Sometimes it
> disappears right a way and other times it never goes but it is better
> than before when it would never delete on TB.

If you're not doing local sync with TB and you have GLODA disabled, TB
is going to show you exactly what's in your Dovecot mailbox.  If the
message doesn't disappear from your TB view sometime after deleting it
on your smartphone, then I'd say it's very likely that Dovecot didn't
receive the delete and/or expunge command from the phone.  Check your
Dovecot logs and see what the phone is actually sending, or not sending.

Both of you mentioned problems specifically WRT smartphones.  It's
likely the IMAP implementation in these phones is simply buggy, or your
network coverage is spotty.  I don't use a smartphone so I can't really
say.  What smartphone are you each using?

--
Stan