[Dovecot] version difference understanding

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Mar 5 12:17:17 EET 2011

upen put forth on 3/4/2011 9:52 PM:
> Hello,
>
> I am in process of setting up an IMAP server (with postfix SMTP), I
> installed RHEL 5.5 on my server and found that version of dovecot is
> 1.x.x while when I checked online RHEL 6 is version is 2.x.x.
>
> Can someone please tell me if these two versions are still in
> development or 1.x.x is very old and must be replaced by 2.x.x
> version?
>
> Also are there any special features in 2.x.x or 1.x.x that makes it
> better than other?

You are installing from scratch, thus you should use 2.x.  Yes there are
new features, and performance is generally better.  You just might want
to visit:  http://wiki2.dovecot.org/  Early 2.0.x versions had lots of
bugs so you'll want to get as close to 2.0.10 as possible.

> I see similar things for postfix package but I understand this is not
> the place to ask postfix Qns,

For RHEL 5.5 use Simon Mudd's Postfix binary RPM:
http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.7/RPMS-rhel5-x86_64/postfix-2.7.2-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm

If you have RHEL6 available to you, use it, and save yourself a bunch of
grief trying to get current packages.  It ships with Postfix 2.6.6 which
is modern enough to fit most, if not all, of your needs.

--
Stan