[Dovecot] expire plugin and sieve

cvb at kruemel.org cvb at kruemel.org
Thu Mar 3 23:23:54 EET 2011

 On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 02:07:38 +0200, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>>  However, the combination of sieve and expire does not seem to be
>>  working: When sieve moves messages into a folder, no entry is
>> created in
>>  the database. Don't these plugins work together, or did I
>> misconfigure
>>  something?
> If you didn't yet find out:
>>  lda:
>>    mail_plugins: expire
>>    mail_plugins: sieve
> The second mail_plugins setting overrides the first one. Use:
> mail_plugins = expire sieve

 Thanks, this works to the extent that dates are now written into the
 database when mails are moved by sieve filters. What doesn't work (and I
 spent the last weeks testing and googling, hence my late reply) is the
 deletion of expired mails. When an expiration date occurs, the database
 is updated, but nothing is deleted.

 I have implemented a test with a 1 day expiry. Dates get updated,
 nothing is deleted. Output of expire tool:

 Info: Loading modules from directory: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
 Info: Module loaded:
 /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap/lib20_expire_plugin.so
 Info: expire: pattern=INBOX.Trash type=expunge secs=604800
 Info: expire: pattern=INBOX.Mailing-Lists.test type=expunge secs=86400
 Info: expire: pattern=INBOX.Spam type=expunge secs=2592000
 Info: auth input: uid=5000
 Info: auth input: gid=5000
 Info: auth input: home=/home/vmail/example.com/user1
 Info: Namespace: type=private, prefix=INBOX., sep=., inbox=yes,
 hidden=no, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
 Info: maildir: data=/home/vmail//:INDEX=/var/indexes/
 Info: maildir++: root=/home/vmail/, index=/var/indexes, control=,
 inbox=/home/vmail/
 Info: auth input: uid=5000
 Info: auth input: gid=5000
 Info: auth input: home=/home/vmail/example.com/user2
 Info: Namespace: type=private, prefix=INBOX., sep=., inbox=yes,
 hidden=no, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
 Info: maildir: data=/home/vmail//:INDEX=/var/indexes/
 Info: maildir++: root=/home/vmail/, index=/var/indexes, control=,
 inbox=/home/vmail/

 Is this an issue with the mail_location setting? I know the wiki says
 something about a userdb lookup returning the mail location, but,
 frankly, I'm not sure what that's supposed to say...

 Thanks.