[Dovecot] dovecot share

Eric Broch ebroch at whitehorsetc.com
Thu Mar 3 18:06:39 EET 2011

 On 3/3/2011 8:57 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2011-03-02 7:50 PM, Eric Broch wrote:
>> Sorry, Charles , I didn't see your request not to top post.
> No problem...
>
>> Is there s certain procedure for upgrading from dovecot 1.x to 2.x?
>> Do I uninstall the current version on my machine?
>> Or, is there an upgrade option during install?
>>
>> I just want to do it correctly.
> When in doubt, rtfm... ;)
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/

Thanks, Charles!

I had looked at that web page previously but it didn't offer any
assistance on upgrading tarballs. So, I went ahead and started
experimenting on my test server. Here is my procedure...

(Stop Qmailtoaster)
1) qmailctl stop

(Uninstall dovecot v1.2.3)
2) cd /my/dovecot/dir/dovecot-1.2.3
3) sudo make uninstall

(Install dovecot v2.0.9)
4) cd /my/dovecot/dir
5) wget http://dovecot.org/releases/2.0/dovecot-2.0.9.tar.gz
6) tar -zxvf dovecot-2.0.9.tar.gz
7) cd dovecot-2.0.9
8) ./configure --with-vpopmail --with-ssl=openssl
9) make
10) sudo make install

(Create the v2.0.9 configuration file from v1.2.3 configuration file andput it in v2 directory)
11) cp /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
12) cd /usr/local/etc/dovecot
13)  doveconf -n>  dovecot-2.conf (Create v2 compatible file)
14) cp dovecot-2.conf dovecot.conf (Rename v2 compatible file)

(Edit v2 file)
15) Removed the following setting from dovecot.conf  (IMAP will not work with this setting)

    service auth {
      user = vpopmail
    }

16) qmailctl start

Oh, and I've been informed that I missed creating the 'dovenull' user.

Eric