[Dovecot] Password query returned multiple matches

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Wed Aug 31 18:19:23 EEST 2011

Hi

After successfully setting up dovecot, I see this error in the logs.

Aug 30 22:41:45 mail dovecot: auth-worker(default): sql(sbrereton at domain.co.uk,64.88.168.84): Password query returned multiple matches
Aug 30 22:41:52 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<sbrereton at domain.co.uk>, method=PLAIN, rip=64.88.168.84, lip=127.0.0.1, TLS

Can you tell me what it means or what I should look for?

In my dovecot-sql.conf I have this query:

password_query = SELECT EmailAdd AS user, Password AS password,  concat('/var/spool/mail/virtual/',MailDirLoc) as userdb_home, 999 as userdb_uid, 115 as userdb_gid FROM MailAccounts WHERE Username='%u' AND active = '1';

Since the EmailAdd is unique I don't see how it can return multiple matches.

Thanks.

Simon