[Dovecot] Cannot delete subfolder in public folder

Karsten Becker karsten.becker at ecologic.eu
Wed Aug 24 12:26:22 EEST 2011

Yeeeahh! I got it.

For those who have the same problem:

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients#Thunderbird

Then, I took a look in conf.d/20-imap.conf and found the following:

>   # Workarounds for various client bugs:
>   #   delay-newmail:
>   #     Send EXISTS/RECENT new mail notifications only when replying to NOOP
>   #     and CHECK commands. Some clients ignore them otherwise, for example OSX
>   #     Mail (<v2.1). Outlook Express breaks more badly though, without this it
>   #     may show user "Message no longer in server" errors. Note that OE6 still
>   #     breaks even with this workaround if synchronization is set to
>   #     "Headers Only".
>   #   tb-extra-mailbox-sep:
>   #     With mbox storage a mailbox can contain either mails or submailboxes,
>   #     but not both. Thunderbird separates these two by forcing server to
>   #     accept '/' suffix in mailbox names in subscriptions list.
>   #   tb-lsub-flags:
>   #     Show \Noselect flags for LSUB replies with LAYOUT=fs (e.g. mbox).
>   #     This makes Thunderbird realize they aren't selectable and show them
>   #     greyed out, instead of only later giving "not selectable" popup error.
>   #
>   # The list is space-separated.
>   imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep tb-lsub-flags

As we have a very heterogenous infrastructure, with Mac OS X
Thunderbird, I added the missing 2 TB options (I also have LAYOUT=fs on
the public folders) and restarted Dovecot. Now it works without showing
obscure messages - it just deletes a subfolder as a user would expect!  :-D

Of course TB must be still set up to delete immediately.

Regards
Karsten