[Dovecot] LDA and auth-userdb socket permissions

a.smith at ukgrid.net a.smith at ukgrid.net
Tue Aug 23 19:10:43 EEST 2011

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

>> But in the example for the config file the text reads:
>>
>> [QUOTE]
>> service auth {
>>  unix_listener auth-userdb {
>>    mode = 0600
>>    user = vmail # User running dovecot-lda
>>    #group = vmail # Or alternatively mode 0660 + dovecot-lda user
>> in this group
>>  }
>> }
>> [/QUOTE]
>
> Now you've gone outside the "Multiple UIDs" section in the wiki.
> There are the 3 different sections of how to run dovecot-lda a
> different way:
>
>  * with a lookup
>  * without a lookup
>  * multiple UIDs
>
> None of their documentation is compatible with each others.

Ok, I must be misunderstanding. I understand that the multiple UIDs
limitation relates to the fact that access to the auth-userdb socket
is restricted, is that incorrect? Following that forward, where the
example shows that you can set group access to the socket and change
permissions to 0660 I took to mean you can now have multiple users so
long as they are in the correct group (ie vmail). Which contradicts
the statement that you cannot work with multiple UIDs.
Can you put that straight if I got it wrong?

thanks in advance, Andy.