[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.2.16 and Thunderbird 5 - pop3 mails not getting deleted

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Aug 22 10:01:18 EEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 09:10 +0300, Kostas Zorbadelos wrote:

> On 08/06/2011 01:32 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> > I run a Dovecot 1.2.16 pop3 server and have just started using the
> > Thunderbird 5 email client.
> >
> > Thunderbird is set to leave the messages on the server unless they are
> > over 91 days old. However, I'm not seeing it delete any of the older
> > messages.
> >
> > I'll run a debug run of Thunderbird when I get back home, but I'm just
> > wondering if there's any gotcha's I should be aware of with
> > Thunderbird and Dovecot in a pop3 environment. The Thunderbird folks
> > are wondering if it's the server not the client.

if thunderbird follows the same principles of every other pop3 client
out there maybe it would delete them, pop3d only does what it is asked
to do, it can not be the server if just one single other client that
follows relevant RFC's works

Many people have always had gripes with thunderbird not doing this or
that, there's always something, tell your clients to use a compliant
client, or webmail.