[Dovecot] mail spool filesystem

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Aug 19 21:48:54 EEST 2011

On 08/19/2011 02:45 PM, Felipe Scarel wrote:
> I'm testing out ZFS-fuse on my new install (talked about it on the other
> thread), no issues so far. The builtin deduplication and compression sure do
> help a lot, roughly 30% less storage space required so far.
>
> They don't advertise it as exactly "production" quality, but I'm willing to
> try it out, we're doing regular backups. The mail system hasn't gone live
> yet though, so I'm a bit uneasy on the performance side of things under
> heavy load.

   You are aware that there's a real in-kernel ZFS implementation under
Linux now, right?  See http://zfsonlinux.org/.  I've done some very
basic testing with it, and so far, it works.  Going through FUSE is
slower than pissing tar; this implementation won't have that problem.

   FUSE is useful for many things.  Performance-sensitive filesystems on
production servers is oh-so-NOT one of them. ;)

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL