[Dovecot] imap-login aborted login

Daminto Lie dlie76 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 16 08:19:34 EEST 2011

Hi,

I have been trying to set up Apache2, Postfix, Dovecot, openLDAP and squirrelmail on my Ubuntu Server 10.04 machine. The idea is to make use of the LDAP to authenticate users to login to squirrelmail to send/receive emails.

I have been using the link - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix/DovecotLDAP, as a guide to get it all set up. I have checked the status for postfix and dovecot, and they both are up and running by using telnet. I have even installed openldapadmin to check and see if I've got the ldap working. I could login to openldapadmin and saw myself there with uid=msmith.

I have also installed squirrelmail as my webmail. After all that installed, I went to localhost/squirrelmail on the firefox browser. It would not log me in.

Later I found in the /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log file, I saw the following messages
dovecot: Info: Dovecot v1.2.9 starting up (core dumps disabled)
imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<msmith>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts):
user=<msmith at mycompany.com.au>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured

imap-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts):
user=<mike.smith at mycompany.com.au>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured

I tried to login with three different usernames but none worked as shown above in the log file. I wonder if it is to do with method=PLAIN and secured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you