[Dovecot] Slackware Dovecot recompile with SSL/TLS question

CopalFreak copalfreak at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:07:37 EEST 2011

I am having some problems and was told to ask in this list to try and

get some help.

When asking elsewhere, I was told that I was too verbose, so I'll try to
be as brief as possible, while still including all the pertinent info.

Slackware 13.1.0
Dovecot 2.0.8
Postfix 2.4.3
MySQL (virtual users)
Spamassassin 3.3.1
ClamAV 0.97.1 (without Amavis)
Have wild-card SSL certs and CA from GoDaddy

##"postconf -a"
>> cyrus
>> dovecot

I compiled Dovecot without SASL support and need to re-compile it WITH
SASL support, but I don't want to mess up my existing configuration.
(I have it the way I want it as far as where it's installed, where the
conf files are located, UID, GID settings, etc.)

Dovecot 2.0.13 is out and I would prefer to use the newer version
assuming it doesn't have any problems that would prevent me from using it.

Is there a way to re-compile (or upgrade) so that it doesn't change any
of my existing settings?

I would like to be able to bring it down, do upgrade, maybe copy some
config files over the defaults etc, and bring it all back up within a
few minutes instead of a week of tweaking and fixing stuff.

Is there a way to do something like this :

stop dovecot
backup all dovecot conf files

./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/path/to/openssl LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/openssl
--config_dir /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
(or something like that..not sure what it actually is)

make
sudo make install
edit conf files to point to SSL certs
start dovecot

IN CASE anything goes wrong, copy old config files back and restart
dovecot to make it go back the way it was (only it's using the new
2.0.13 version)

any suggestions and/or tips on how-to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!