[Dovecot] LMTP over STDIN/STDOUT (non root user)

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Mon Aug 15 16:31:29 EEST 2011

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 15.8.2011, at 11.30, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, since LMTP by design is intended to deliver mails to multiple
>>> users, which requires userdb lookup, this is kind of a kludgy way to
>>> use it.
>>
>> LMTP offers *also* a sensible way to reduce number of execution of
>> deliver program, does not it? :-)
>
> Depends on how you're intending to run it. If you can manage to keep
> the session open between mail deliveries, then it'll work, but I don't
> really know how you could do that.
> [...]

MTA operating in normal mode of accepting messages over SMTP can hardly
benefit without significant delivery delays.

Fetchmail polling other POP/IMAP accounts can achieve multiple messages
over single LMTP session (to one recipient) especially after "overnight break".

MTA perspective is not the only one even if it is the most important.

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
It's possible that I'm just an idiot, and don't recognize a sleepy
slavemaster when I see one.
  -- Larry Wall in <199708040319.UAA16213 at wall.org>