[Dovecot] Unknown setting: service

Patrick Westenberg pw at wk-serv.de
Thu Aug 11 17:06:58 EEST 2011

Hi guys,

I setup a new box with Debian Squeeze 64bit and installed dovecot from
the sources. However, I can't start dovecot or even use doveconf:

root at imap01:~# doveconf -n
# 2.0.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf line 111: Unknown setting:
mail_uid

Why is mail_uid and mail_gid an unknown setting?
On my other box the configuration is identical (but Dovecot is
upgraded from early 2.0.x versions to the current one)

If I comment the mail_uid and mail_gid lines, I get another error:

root at imap01:~# doveconf -n
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf line 17: Unknown setting:
service
doveconf: Error: managesieve-login: dump-capability process returned 89
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf line 17: Unknown setting:
service

Everything I could find on Google are problems after upgrading from
1.x to 2.x

What went wrong?

Regards
Patrick