[Dovecot] mail delivery location wrong

Firma Averlon info at averlon.net
Mon Aug 8 15:41:59 EEST 2011

Hi,
thanks for offering the oportunity to place a question here.

I am now already working since a week to get postfix and dovecot working
on a ubuntu 11.04 server.
Hard task. First step was naturally to get familiar with the idea behind
the archtitecture.

I have come very far, but the "last dirty mile" is probably the hardest.

My architecture:
Postfix
Dovecot
OpenLDAP
Thunderbird as client with pop3

I can meanwhile send e-mails and open my mailbox in thunderbird (not
receiving mails so far).

The reason why not receiving e-Mails is simply: When sending the mails
they are stored in a different directory as where dovecot will look for
them !!!!

Error message from log:
Aug  8 14:09:01 server dovecot: deliver(vmail): maildir:
data=/home/vmail//vmail/Maildir
Aug  8 14:09:01 server dovecot: deliver(vmail): maildir:
data=/home/vmail//vmail/Maildir
Aug  8 14:09:01 server dovecot: deliver(vmail): maildir++:
root=/home/vmail//vmail/Maildir, index=, control=,
inbox=/home/vmail//vmail/Maildir
Aug  8 14:09:01 server dovecot: deliver(vmail): maildir++:
root=/home/vmail//vmail/Maildir, index=, control=,
inbox=/home/vmail//vmail/Maildir

What you immediatly see: "vmail//vmail"

Although, when authenticating, the result is:
Aug  8 14:06:30 server dovecot: auth(default): master out:
USER#0113#011userxxx at av.loc#011gid=5000#011home=/home/userxxx#011uid=5000#011mail=/home/vmail/av.loc/userxxx/Maildir/

The following settings are in place:
main.cf of postfix:

virtual_mailbox_domains = /etc/postfix/vhosts
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-virtual.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 1000
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
virtual_transport = dovecot
mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

beside others.

master.cf of postfix
dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
   flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f
${sender} -a ${recipient}

dovecot.conf
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir

beside others.

I guess, these are the ones influencing where to store the mail and pick
it up.

A list of the related filesystem:
/home/vmail/
drwx-w--w- 4 vmail vmail 4096 2011-08-08 08:56 av.loc/
drwx------ 3 vmail vmail 4096 2011-08-08 09:42 vmail/

Wher you can see, the structure according "mail_location" parameter of
dovecot.conf does show effect, but the mails are stored in
/home/vmail//vmail.....".

The whole bunch of documentation I have read meanwhile makes my head
circle around.
You could hopefully give me some help.
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards