[Dovecot] $IP not getting set?

A.L. al at xjack.org
Tue Aug 2 23:46:02 EEST 2011

    Using dovecot 2.0.13.  I went to implement relay-ctrl per directions
on the Wiki, and failed.  After running it down, as best as I can
determine, the problem is that the $IP variable is not getting set (and
thus not re-set in the script wrapper).   I plunked a "set >> debug"
into the script, and the only env var's that are set are as listed below
(slightly sanitized for public display).   Anyone have any ideas?  I
have tried both the Wiki-way, and this way:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2009-December/045139.html  with
identical results.

CLIENT_LIMIT='1000'
CONFIG_FILE='/my_path/config'