[Dovecot] Clients can't retrieve new emails

Jeff Van Epps jeff.vanepps at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:59:48 EEST 2011

In a formerly working environment suddenly clients aren't notified of
new emails and can't retrieve new emails. Server is Ubuntu 11.04 dovecot
1.2.15. Clients which fail are a Pre2 webOS 2.1 and TouchPad webOS 3.0
(those are OS versions, I don't know which particular flavor/version the
IMAP clients are); there is also a Thunderbird 3.1.11 client on the same
system as the server which works properly. The clients never report an
error. I got as far as configuring rawlog:

in:
~A2 NAMESPACE
~A3 SELECT "INBOX"
~A4 LIST "" *
~A5 UID STORE 0 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)
~A6 UID STORE 0 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)

out:
* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2011-08-01 08:28:33
~A1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS] Logged in
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL
~A2 OK Namespace completed.
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk Junk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
Junk \*)] Flags permitted.
* 101 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 63] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1222650706] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 863] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 1903] Highest
~A3 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "Trash"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "Sent"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "INBOX"
~A4 OK List completed.
~A5 BAD Error in IMAP command UID STORE: Invalid uidset
~A6 BAD Error in IMAP command UID STORE: Invalid uidset

I've searched and read messages saying that there is no such thing as
UID 0. Okay. Why are the clients suddenly trying to use it? Why doesn't
the server just ignore it? (it seems like it may be terminating the
connection)

What can I do about it? (I'll nag HP about the client side but I don't
expect quick action. The server on the other hand is in my house.)

dovecot -n output:
# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic i686 Ubuntu 11.04
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/lordbah.com.crt
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/private/lordbah.com.key
ssl_key_password: --redacted--
disable_plaintext_auth: no
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_process_per_connection: no
login_processes_count: 5
login_max_processes_count: 20
verbose_proctitle: yes
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: mbox:~*/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/*%u
mail_debug: yes
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/rawlog /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
imap_client_workarounds: tb-extra-mailbox-sep
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  passdb: