[Dovecot] dovecot imap permission denied

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 31 08:02:53 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 21:09 -0700, Daminto Lie wrote:

> Aug 31 13:50:57 server1 dovecot: IMAP(mike_lee): mkdir(/home/mike_lee/Maildir/.INBOX.Sent/cur) failed: Permission denied (euid=1004 egid=1003(companyusergroup) missing +w perm: /home)
>
> What I have tried to do is changing the permission for /home by typing "sudo chmod 755 /home" and this does not work. What does it mean by missing +w perm: /home? and wonder how to get around it?

It means that Dovecot tries to deliver mails to mike_lee's Maildir,
but /home/mike_lee/ directory itself doesn't exist, so Dovecot tries to
create it, but it fails because the process doesn't have write
permissions to /home.

The best way to fix this would be to simply create the user home dirs
with proper permissions before Dovecot ever tries to deliver mails to
the user.