[Dovecot] mail spool filesystem

Nick Rosier nick+dovecot at bunbun.be
Wed Aug 31 23:27:14 EEST 2011

Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>>> Are you using Maildir or MBOX?
>>>
>>> In any case: XFS would be my last choice:
>>>
>>> XFS is nice if you are working with large files (>  2GB), but
>>> for E-Mail i'd stick with ext3 (or maybe even reiser3)
>>> as it works very well with small files.
>> XFS was designed for parallelism, whether with large files or small,
>
> Anyone been using ZFS on FreeBSD for mail spool storage?

I'm using ZFS on FreeBSD 8.2. But to be honest, this is a
personal/private mail-system with limited mailboxes. I really like the
snapshots in ZFS. Every night I make a snapshot which I send to another
server for backup. Every hour I make a new snapshot from which I send
the incremental to the backup-server. That way if the worst happens I
will only loose 1 hour of mail.

ZFS was built for data integrity, not speed so if it's speed you are
looking for this might not be the fastest but maybe fast enough.

N.