[Dovecot] Thunderbird caching problem

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Wed Aug 31 22:49:53 EEST 2011

Dave McGuire [mcguire at neurotica.com] wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 02:59 PM, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> >Using a fairly simple dovecot config (which obviously needs some max
> >limit tweaking) we have problems with IMAP synchronization between
> >thunderbird clients.
> >
> >Two TB clients in the same IMAP mailbox will, from time to time, show
> >different views of the same INBOX folders, when TB caching is
> >enabled.  The only fix is to right-click on the folder, go to
> >"Properties" and use the "Repair Folder" option which repairs the
> >local TB .msf cache file.
> >
> >Is there any server-side fix/workaround that would keep TB from
> >regularly going out-of-sync ? This happens with TB3 and newer
> >versions, in concert with either dovecot 1 or 2.
>
>   I ran into exactly this problem as well, it is infuriating.  A
> workaround was discussed here awhile back.  Sticking this in the
> "protocol imap" block of dovecot.conf solved the problem completely:
>
> imap_capability = IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
> ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS
> MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDP
> LUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN
> CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS

Interesting..How do I know that I really should be announcing all of these capabilities given my current dovecot version and config?

With the config I posted, here's what I send out now

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Blahfart