[Dovecot] Doveadm-Expunge v2.0.5

Kui Zhang kuizhang at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:33:09 EEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 28.10.2010, at 5.50, Kui Zhang wrote:
>
>> doveadm -Dv expunge -u user at domain mailbox ".EXPUNGED/*" savedbefore 7d
> ..
>> doveadm(user at domain): Debug: expunge: box=.EXPUNGED/INBOX/mon uid=791
>> doveadm(user at domain): Info: expunge: box=INBOX/mon, uid=196,
>> msgid=<E1OwJm4-0000j4-1l at domain>, size=1856
>>
>> So what is the diff between "Debug: expunge" and "Info: expunge".
>
> The "Debug: expunge" is written by doveadm, because you gave it a -D parameter. It tells what messages it's about to expunge. The "Info: expunge" is written by mail_log plugin when anything gets expunged.

Thanks for the info. So is info message showing the wrong mailbox or
is it deleting from the wrong mailbox?

I did specify mailbox ".EXPUNGED/*". Is the syntax wrong?

debug:
box=.EXPUNGED/INBOX/mon

info:
box=INBOX/mon

>> 1.A.
>> Would not it be faster not to enumerate for large mailboxes (30-40GB -
>> Maildir)? Is it possible to add a switch, to select single user
>> expunge behavior?
>> ref: http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg32322.html
>
> I don't understand. The default is to expunge only a single user. And why do you mention maildir if you're using mdbox? In any case the size of the mailbox is rather irrelevant. Number of messages is more relevant.

Let me rephrase that. Some users are using maildir. and more than one
of such users with 30-40Gb of emails, approx 100-800k/message.  approx
85899345 messages. 20-50 mailboxes under each user. And messages get
deleted often.

When expunging, lazy expunged, messages from such mailboxes,
individually at separate time. Would not it be faster/safer reading
from expire database compare to enumerate everything?

I was hoping to setup a script to expunge, lazy expunged, messages
from each user, at diff intervals, based predetermined rate of delete.

>> 2.
>> Also. expunge does not appear to remove empty mailboxes, is this a bug
>> or intentional? If intentional, why? Any way to automated removal of
>> empty mailboxes?
>
> Well, for your situation when removing mails from .EXPUNGED/ it makes sense, but for anything else it definitely shouldn't be automatically deleting any mailboxes. Maybe there could be an option to do this, although it's a bit problematic if doveadm expunge is being run at the same time as user is expunging more messages. It shouldn't delete mailbox if new messages just got added there. (And that probably isn't very easy to implement.)

thanks you.