[Dovecot] delivering mail to public mbox with permission 660?

RParr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Tue Oct 26 03:33:30 EEST 2010

On 10/25/2010 08:22 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Yep. Looks like it's broken in v1.2 for mbox. It works in v2.0 though. I
>>> could maybe write a patch for v1.2, but you'd need to compile Dovecot
>>> anyway.
>>>

>> A patch would be much appreciated.
>>
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/45769d0cc39c

Thanks.  Works like a charm.

I include the following for others who might want to apply this patch to
their Ubuntu/Debian systems.

--------------------------------
# likely already done but include for completeness
apt-get install build-essential devscripts

cd /d/linux/dovecot
# or where ever you stash such things

apt-get build-dep dovecot
# installed a bunch of dev libs/pkgs.

apt-get source dovecot

cd dovecot-1.2.9/

cp src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-storage.c
src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox.storage.c.orig

vi src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-storage.c
# change mbox-storage.c per
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/45769d0cc39c#l1.25

dch -v 1:1.2.9-1ubuntu6.1ta "mbox: Creating new mailboxes should base
permissions on mail root dir, not always use 0600"
# this sets the version to 1:1.2.9-1ubuntu6.1ta and adds and entry in
the changelog.
# did this so apt/synaptic would see our version as newer then existing.

debuild -us -uc
# can use dpkg-buildpackage command-line options
# -us -uc means do not sign source package or .changes file.

cd /d/linux/dovecot
# now contains a set of dovecot debs

I then moved the debs to our local repository, updated the repository
index, and installed using synaptic.

OR

# assuming /d/linux/dovecot contains only the newly generated debs,
install the packages using dpkg
dpkg -i *.deb