[Dovecot] virtual plugin broken ? dovecot 2.0.6 / solved

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Oct 25 22:45:15 EEST 2010

Am 25.10.2010 18:16, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Am 25.10.2010 18:07, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>> On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 17:53 +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>>> after all i am confused what using better
>>>
>>> pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv ( most compatible )
>>> or
>>> pop3_uidl_format = %g ( better with virtual )
>>
>> %g is always the best value, except with mbox because it doesn't have
>> true GUIDs. Of course, if you change it now the pop3 clients will
>> redownload all mails.
>>
>>> pop3_reuse_xuidl = ? what ist the most compatible/konservative setting
>>> with maildir on a cluster filesystem
>>
>> This is useful only if you converted from another POP3 server to
>> Dovecot. Keep it "no".
>>
>>> pop3_save_uidl = ? what ist the most compatible/konservative setting
>>> with maildir on a cluster filesystem
>>
>> This can be useful if you're changing pop3_uidl_format setting. First
>> set this to "yes", then make sure all users have logged in with POP3,
>> and then it's safe to change pop3_uidl_format because the old UIDLs have
>> been permanently saved to dovecot-uidlist file.
>>
>>> RealMails/*
>>> RealMails/INBOX
>>> RealMails/INBOX/*
>>
>> I don't think you need the INBOX lines above, since RealMails/* should
>> match them already.
>>
>>> --sql
>>> CASE '%s' WHEN 'pop3' THEN NULL ELSE 'yes' END AS namespace_1_inbox, \
>>> CASE '%s' WHEN 'pop3' THEN 'yes' ELSE NULL END AS namespace_2_inbox, \
>>
>> This no longer works like this with v2.0. Change them to e.g.:
>>
>> AS namespace_1_inbox -> AS 'namespace/default/inbox'
>> AS namespace_2_inbox -> AS 'namespace/virtual/inbox'
>>
>> Then give those same names to your namespaces:
>>
>>> namespace {
>>
>> namespace default {
>>
>>>   hidden = no
>>>   inbox = yes
>>>   list = yes
>>>   location =
>>>   prefix =
>>>   separator = /
>>>   subscriptions = yes
>>>   type = private
>>> }
>>> namespace {
>>
>> namespace virtual {
>>
>>>   hidden = yes
>>>   list = no
>>>   location = virtual:/etc/dovecot/virtual:LAYOUT=maildir++
>>>   prefix = virtual/
>>>   separator = /
>>>   subscriptions = no
>>>   type = private
>>> }
>>
> thx Timo, for quick answer
> i ll try and report

Hi Timo, it worked
with all explains you made,
for note:  tested with outlook express  ( as the worst client my users
mostly use ) also no mail doubles redownloads etc
for luck it seems that m$ has no default email client integrated in win7
( which i didnt know since yet )
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer