[Dovecot] CLient issues

Mon Oct 18 22:09:56 EEST 2010

On 2010-10-18 2:48 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 02:15:28PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 2010-10-18 1:31 PM, The Doctor wrote:
>>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:27:40PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> You mean Outlook re-downloads the same message over and over and
>> Thunderbird doesn't?

> Well both OutLook/ OutLook Express/ Mail and Apple Mail are
> showing signs of this.

Are they set to 'leave messages on the server'?

>> Regardless, inline mail scanning (ie, using any AV's 'proxy'
>> scanner) is pretty much useless and all too often very
>> problematic.
>>
>> Just use a good AV and let its on-demand scanning do the job.
>>
>> I always recommend Security Essentials (free) or NOD32 (paid) for
>> AV...

> Well the AVG uses a proxy (annoying).

It doesn't have to, it only does so if you tell it to.

> Mind you I am trying to replace dovecot POP3 with Eudora Qpopper.

Development looks fairly slow/stagnant... I wouldn't want to go that
way, but its up to you...

> so 1) Hw do you get aV proxies to play ball

I don't - I don't use them or recommend that they be used. It is a waste
of resources and only introduces another layer of needless complexity.

> 2) URL for  Security Essentials

Googles actually pretty easy to use these days:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=security+essentials

:)

--

Best regards,