[Dovecot] maildir-dbox hybrid

Luben Karavelov karavelov at spnet.net
Mon Oct 18 21:56:02 EEST 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:23:29 +0100, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 17.10.2010, at 17.52, Roland Stuehmer wrote:
>
>> How can I convert old mailboxes in "maildir-dbox hybrid" to a current dbox?
>
> Does this help? http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-September/053012.html

If I understand it correctly, dbox/maildir hybrid is when there are
some messages
stored as maildir msgs and some messages in dbox format, isn't it?

The conversion, as described in the suggested post seems like a lot of
trouble.
So, I have some questions:

In the first scenario, if I redeliver maildir-format messages, does the
users that
use POP3 and store their mail on the server will re-download all
redelivered
messages? (if it does matter, my pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv).

The other option - convert the dbox-es back to maildir, move the old
maildir
messages in the new maildir, manually add them to the new uid-list and
finally
convert the new maildir to sdbox - seems quite fragile.

Best regards

--
Luben Karavelov
Research and development