[Dovecot] dovecot genesis v2.0.X

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Oct 18 21:17:15 EEST 2010

> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 13:46 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>
>> >  I am running 2.0.5 (svn repository) in production for about a
>> > thousand users without major issues.
>>
>> Please Sir, on what OS and architecture ?
>
> I think the stability has less to do with that, and more to do with what
> parts of Dovecot you want to use. If your test setup works fine with the
> most common clients you use, and it survives a bit of stress testing, it
> should work fine.
>
> The things I still mostly worry about are some rare errors/crashes.

There is still a rather large number of Solaris 8 Sparc servers out there
running in production and based on the conversations I have had with some
sysadmins they will upgrade them when the smoke comes out. That could be
another five years.

So, before you say "stability has less to do with that" you should see the
horrendous work it takes to port an app from the open source world (
usually Linux people with tons of Linux-isms/GCC-isms in it ) over to an
old POSIX/XPG4 ( POSIX.1-1990, POSIX.2-1992, POSIX.1b-1993, POSIX.1c-1996
etc ) compliant UNIX. My coffee cup needs whiskey some days ;-)

--
Dennis Clarke
dclarke at opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open source Solaris