[Dovecot] "doveadm mailbox create" oddities

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 14 20:40:39 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 09:14 +0200, Andre wrote:

> # doveadm mailbox create -u __public__ sys/test
> doveadm(__public__): Error: Can't create mailbox sys/test: Permission denied

Assuming you have a sys/ namespace prefix for a public namespace, then I
guess this fails because the default ACL prevents all accesses.

> but if I do:
>
> # doveadm mailbox create -u __public__ test
>
> every thing is OK.

And this works because "" is a private namespace and its default ACL
gives admin access.

> “sys" is a shared maildir folder, that is visible in the client as "#Public/sys”.

Shouldn't you have used "#Public/sys/test" as the mailbox name then?

> __public__ is the user that owns Public folders, here is the complete details:
>
> userdb: __public__
>   uid       : 10002
>   gid       : 8
>   home      : /var/mail/domainname/__public__
>   mail      : maildir:~/maildir:INBOX=~/maildir/INBOX:LAYOUT=fs:INDEX=~/indexes/

This doesn't really tell me what mailboxes other people then see. The
same __public__/maildir/ is the other users' #Public/sys/ namespace?
Then shouldn't it work if you just create "test" and it shows up to
others as #Public/sys/test?

Anyway .. dovecot -n output would have been helpful. I've done too much
guessing above.

> Do I have to add root with proper permissions to ACL?

No.