[Dovecot] managesieve fileinto folder with international characters

Edward Carraro ednitido at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 21:04:59 EEST 2010

I have a folder created in dovecot entered by the user as "ññoéé"

On the file system it appears as "&APEA8Q-o&AOkA6Q-" (mUTF7)

When creating a sieve rule, to file into the folder ññoéé, I am converting
the name from UTF8 into UTF7, the rule becomes

require ["fileinto"];
if header :contains ["From"] "user at domain.com"
{
    fileinto "&APEA8Q-o&AOkA6Q-";
}

however when executed, a sieve log is generated saying:

failed to store into mailbox '&APEA8Q-o&AOkA6Q-' (&-APEA8Q-o&-AOkA6Q-):
Mailbox doesn't exist: &-APEA8Q-o&-AOkA6Q-.

If I directly modify the sieve file and place the actual utf8 version of the
folder in it

require ["fileinto"];
if header :contains ["From"] "user at domain.com"
{
    fileinto "ññoéé";
}

I get the following error:

main_script: line 1: error: folder name specified for fileinto command is
not utf-8: ññoéé.