[Dovecot] Dovecot Version 1.2.12 Slow IMAP LIST Question

Dave Shanefelter das at overly.com
Mon Oct 11 19:56:49 EEST 2010

We are using Dovecot 1.2.12, FreeBSD 8.1 Stable, & SquirrelMail 1.4.21

Our problem is that SquirrelMail works fine inside our Network, but from the
outside SquirrelMail times out before it can display the inbox contents.

SquirrelMail times out for everyone, all of the time.

In troubleshooting we have observed the following:

>From the inside, if I telnet into Dovecot IMAP and issue ? LIST "" "*" I get
an instant list of my folders.

If I do the above from the outside, the LIST command slowly lists 10 - 15
entries and stops, then pauses for what seems to be 30 seconds to a minute,
then lists another 10 - 15 entries. After about 5 minutes of this it finally
times out.

An interesting note is, when it stops listing and pauses, it doesn't stop at
the end of a line (folder entry), it stops half way through a line entry.
For example, say the folder entry is mailfolder/folder1/folder2, when it
stops I see mailfolder/fol

I don't think this is a SquirrelMail issue because of the IMAP LIST problem.

We have turned on debugging, but the logs really don't show much, just the
timeout.

Can anyone offer additional troubleshooting to help us track down this
issue?

Thanks