[Dovecot] migrate machines and upgrade

Fri Oct 8 22:33:03 EEST 2010

Please don't top-post...

On 2010-10-08 3:15 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:
> On Friday, October 08, 2010 02:01 PM CDT, Charles Marcus
> <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
>>> On 2010-10-08 2:53 PM, Donny Brooks wrote:
>> I don't think the version matters much at this point though.

> 2.0 has been a bit buggy, so in this case, it does matter...

> Gotcha, so should I stay with the 1.2.xx branch and just use the
> mail_convert plugin?

Or upgrade to 2.0.5 on the new server and still use doveadm - this is
probably best if you can...

Honestly though, I'm not really the best one to be advising you on this
(I know enough to be dangerous, have played with the tools, but don't
provide any warranties, etc)...

> The only issue I have with that one is that I can't do it gradually
> and it pegs the server for all it has when a user is converted.

You can convert one or a few at a time, and I don't see any reason why
you couldn't 'nice' the process somehow (not sure exactly how though)...

> Is there a better way to migrate from mbox to Maildir and also from
> old machine to new? That is my end goal, migrate to new machine and
> to Maildir. Anything else is not really a huge deal.

I think the best thing would be to do what you need to do to get 2.0.5
installed on the new server, make sure it is working properly in your
environment and for your use case, then migrate the users.

How many users do you have? I'm fairly certain there is a good way to do
this mostly automated in batches...

--

Best regards,

Charles