[Dovecot] Dovecot v0.99.13-3 upgrade to 1.0.15-2 ??

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Oct 2 09:37:01 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus put forth on 10/1/2010 2:46 PM:
> On 2010-10-01 12:15 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Charles Marcus put forth on 10/1/2010 9:44 AM:
>
>>> Yeah... I understand the argument, but this is why I've never
>>> seriously considered Debian for myself...
>
>> Due to the age of some/many packages in Debian Stable?  Or because
>> new packages aren't introduced in between major releases, except for
>> those released via backports?  Or both?
>
> Both...

Yeah, Stable suffers WRT newer/ish packages.  A lot of Debian OPs run
Testing in production instead, because it has much newer packages in
most cases.  I'm soo glad they backported Dovecot 1.2.x to Lenny,
otherwise I'd still be running 1.0.15, or installing from source.

>> One can always install new packages from source. I've done it a few
>> times on Debian simply because they didn't have the package at all.
>> I've also installed RPMs on Debian for the same reason--IOzone comes
>> to mind.
>
> I know, but I prefer to stick with the package manager if at all
> possible for many reasons... I don't go in for distro wars either, I
> prefer gentoo, but to each his/her own.

I'm exactly the same way.  It's gotta be something I can't live without,
or darn near that level, before I install from source.  Installing RPMs
is usually less painful than source due to alien.  I've only used it a
couple of times and it worked flawlessly.

I've heard and read many good things about Gentoo over the years.  For a
number of reasons I never tried it out though.  Maybe some day...

--
Stan