[Dovecot] IMAP connection timeout value?

Sherin George list at sheringeorge.co.cc
Fri Oct 1 08:20:14 EEST 2010

Hi,

I could see following in RFC 2683 & RFC 2060.

"To alleviate this, a server may implement an inactivity timeout,
unilaterally closing a session (after first sending an untagged BYE,
as noted above). Some server operators have reported dramatic
improvements in server performance after doing this. As specified in
[RFC-2060], if such a timeout is done it must not be until at least 30
minutes of inactivity. The reason for this specification is to prevent
clients from sending commands (such as NOOP) to the server at frequent
intervals simply to avert a too-early timeout. If the client knows
that the server may not time out the session for at least 30 minutes,
then the client need not poll at intervals more frequent than, say, 25
minutes."

So, shouldn't an imap server like dovevot be configured with 30 minutes timeout.

--
Kind Regards,
Sherin