[Dovecot] Help - custom vpopmail

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Tue Nov 16 22:17:12 EET 2010

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
>> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 10:30 -0600, Rick Romero wrote:
>   >
>   >>   So I modified my vpopmail install to write an additional
> field into the
>   >> lastauth table.  My custom vpopmail writes the remote IP into remote_ip,
>   >> and the auth type into a 'type' field. I tested with qmail's
> POP3 daemon to
>   >> verify vchkpw would fill the table correcly.
>   >>
>   >>   But I'm not sure how to get dovecot to do it:
>   >>
>   >>   I know this is close, but there is something not right in
>   >> src/auth/userdb-vpopmail.c line 99.
>   >>   vset_lastauth(vpop_user, vpop_domain, &auth_request->remote_ip,
>   >> t_strdup_noconst(auth_request->service));
>   >
>   > 1) You need to modify vpopmail's vset_lastauth() function to actually
>   > support this.
>   >
>   > 2) Once you do have the extra field (const char *ip) added, you can use:
>   >
>   > vset_lastauth(vpop_user, vpop_domain,
>   >         net_ip2addr(&auth_request->remote_ip),
>   >         t_strdup_noconst(auth_request->service));
>   >
>   > Or maybe you could use vchkpw with Dovecot too via passdb checkpassword?
I already did 1) - that's working fine.
2) is becoming frustrating.  I thought net_ip2addr() would be what I
needed, but I guess not.  Although I only used (char *type) not (const
char *type)..   No compile issues, nothing.  It doesn't appear to even try
and write to the table. (I locked the table to see :)

For giggles I tried using checkpassword just to see what would happen
(though I know it works for qmail-pop3d), but apparently Dovecot can't use
checkpassword with CRAM-MD5 :/   Not sure if that's a bug or expected, but
means I can't convert.  I don't want to remove functionality.

I don't expect much more help unless you see something jump out - This
function just returns an error if MySQL throws an error (in vpopmail's
vauth.c), any other errors and it's silently skipped over - so
troubleshooting this is going to be a little drawn out.

Thanks,

Rick