[Dovecot] Single-instance storage is bad for you!

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Nov 16 00:27:03 EET 2010

Jerry put forth on 11/15/2010 2:26 PM:

> I am not seeing where you got this "self contradictory statements"
> from.

Then apparently you didn't read the thread.  The OP told his users long
ago "do this".  Then he made a change and told them "oh, you don't
really need to do that anymore".  Then, possibly, down the road, he
tells them, "oh, now you need to do it the old way again".

Users see that as self contradiction.  Or "why can't he make up his mind?"

> Furthermore, a reasonably educate individual does not see
> "change" in the terms of anal discomfort, unless they as conservatives.
> A conservative being someone who never envisioned a new concept that
> they did not dislike. In any case, this is not a job for the PR
> department. Rather, it just requires someone with a "set". More
> apropos, I believe you are simply blowing this whole thing out of
> proportion.

I'm blowing nothing out of proportion.  I simply made an observation.  I
don't know about Europe, or anywhere else, but in American cusiness
culture, in general, most users either dislike or outright hate the IT
staff, regardless of the level of education.  In fact, it's the ones who
"think" they are highly educated who usually hate IT the most, because
they think that given the chance they could do the job better.  This is
because they don't have a clue as to the work that goes on "behind the
scenes", and the fact that their requests may never get implemented, or
may take 6 months to go through the IT vetting process before being
approved.  The requirement of calling IT just to get a piece of software
installed on the user's desktop because the user doesn't have rights is
the first thing to turn users against IT.

Now, throw in the original scenario up top, and it's easy to understand
how and why users would resent the best practices policy espoused by the OP.

My original reply to the OP was geared toward saving him grief.  My
recommendation to the OP was to simply say nothing to the users to save
himself potential grief.  That simple.

I believe you are making this into more than it needs to be.  Have you
ever worked in an IT environment with over 1000 users?  And those users
all love the IT staff, baking cookies for them etc?  Send me contact
info PLEASE so I can forward my resume.

--
Stan